0 Shares 10 Views
sinopec set to buy chevrons bn south african assets

Sinopec set to buy Chevron’s $1bn South African assets


sinopec set to buy chevrons bn south african assets

China’s Sinopec is the last bidder left in the race to buy a majority interest in Chevron’s South African assets worth $1 billion, Reuters reported on Friday, citing two people familiar with the deal.

Sinopec is close to sealing an agreement with Chevron over the South African assets that the U.S. major first said would be put up for sale in January last year. Following an auction that had lasted more than a year, Sinopec is now the last bidder remaining, Reuters’ sources said.

In October last year, France’s oil major Total SA, mining and trading giant Glencore, and crude oil trader Gunvor had reportedly bid to buy 75 per cent of Chevron’s South African downstream business.

In January 2016, Chevron said it was considering selling its 75 per cent of its South African business, including a 110,000-bpd refinery in Cape Town, as part of a multi-billion-dollar divestment plan announced in 2014. Chevron operates in South Africa via Chevron South Africa (Pty) Limited, in which it has a 75 per cent stake, while a consortium of Black Economic Empowerment shareholders and an employee trust own the other 25 per cent.

Chevron South Africa also has a network of Caltex service stations, one of the country’s top four petroleum brands, according to Chevron. The U.S. energy major also operates a lubricants plant in Durban, on South Africa’s east coast.

Now if Sinopec manages to snap up Chevron’s assets in South Africa, it would get its first refinery asset in Africa that would further expand the Chinese company’s fuel distribution network across the world.

The process of soliciting expressions of interest in the 75 per cent shareholding is ongoing,” Chevron spokesman Braden Reddall told Reuters. Rothschild & Co is advising Chevron on the sale of the South African assets, according to Reuters.



Source link

You may be interested

Timini Egbuson Reacts To People Who Think He Is Taking Advantage Of Dakore’s Success
ENTERTAINMENT GIST
0 shares13 views

Timini Egbuson Reacts To People Who Think He Is Taking Advantage Of Dakore’s Success

Owolabi Yusuf - Aug 17, 2017

[ad_1] Timini Egbuson, actor and younger brother of Dakore Egbuson-Akande, says he’s used to the perception that he’s taking advantage of his sister’s…

Saudi Arabia To Open Salwa Border Point To Qatari Pilgrims For Haj: SPA
WORLD NEWS
0 shares17 views

Saudi Arabia To Open Salwa Border Point To Qatari Pilgrims For Haj: SPA

Owolabi Yusuf - Aug 17, 2017

[ad_1] Saudi Arabia said it would welcome Qatari pilgrims to perform the haj (Representational)CAIRO:  Saudi Arabia said on Wednesday it would welcome Qatari…

Ronaldo-less Madrid win SuperCup – News Agency of Nigeria (NAN)
NEWS
0 shares23 views

Ronaldo-less Madrid win SuperCup – News Agency of Nigeria (NAN)

Owolabi Yusuf - Aug 17, 2017

[ad_1] Asensio jubilates scoring for MadridReal Madrid consolidated on their first leg 3-1 advantage  over arch rivals Barcelona, beating them 2-0 at Santiago…